As early as the time of the ancient Egyptians, Geranium Oil has been used in a vast range of applications including the promotion of a clear, smooth, radiant complexion, the balancing of hormones, the alleviation of anxiety and fatigue, and the improvement of moods. Geranium (Pelargonium graveolens) essential oil contains some interesting and well-studied phytochemicals (plant-based, natural chemicals). Sixty-five different phytochemicals had been identified as of 2011. The benefits of geranium essential oil are listed below:
Geranium Essential Oil Benefits
- Stress Reliever – Geranium Essential Oil is known to reduce feelings of stress, anxiety, sadness, fatigue, and tension, thereby enhancing the general sense of well-being and relaxation, while offering relief to those suffering from insomnia. Furthermore, the scent of Geranium Oil is known to enhance concentration, improve cognitive function, and balance the emotions as well as the hormones.
- Skin Care – Geranium benefits include: contribute to the condition of the skin cells and ultimately the state of the complexion. It is known to effectively eliminate dead cells and to promote the regeneration of newer, healthier skin, thus benefitting acne-prone skin. Its astringent property helps tighten the skin and to diminish the appearance of the symptoms of aging, such as sagging and wrinkling skin.
- Hair Care – For decades, Geranium Oil has also been used to promote hair growth by nourishing the scalp and balancing the production of sebum and natural oils ensures a proper supply of oxygen to the tissues. This is good for attaining a proper metabolic rate as well as for boosting the immune system. Increasing the blood flow to all the parts of the body helps in staying in good condition.
- Muscle Toner – The Geranium oil benefits includes tightening and contracting muscles – this is again due to its astringent properties. It can prevent your muscles and skin from sagging, and it can give you a more toned abdominal section. Create a massage oil by mixing five drops of geranium oil with one tablespoon of jojoba oil and massage it into your skin, focusing on your muscles.
- Deodorant Properties – The essential oil has a pleasing and uplifting aroma. It is not harsh on the skin. The aroma of the oil lingers on the skin for long periods of time. Moreover, its antibacterial property aids the elimination of body odor too.
- Insect Repellant & Bug Bite Healer – Geranium oil is used as a natural bug repellant. To make your own bug repellant, mix geranium oil with water and spray it on your body – this is much safer than sprays that are filled with chemicals. You can also add baking soda to this mixture to boost the effects. It also heals insect bites and stops itching; use it as a massage oil on itchy or irritated spots for relief.
How To Use
Used in aromatherapy applications, the sweet scent of a best quality Geranium Oil is uplifting, energizing, and inspiring, offering a sense of positivity and good well-being, both physically and mentally. To diminish feelings of sadness and stress and to enhance cognitive function, diffuse 2-3 drops of Geranium Essential Oil in an essential oil diffuser. This has the added benefit of soothing a sore throat and addressing sinus infections.
Used in topical applications, Geranium Oil’s astringency makes it beneficial for tightening skin that is affected by symptoms of aging, such as wrinkles. To firm the appearance of sagging skin, simply add 2 drops of Geranium Essential Oil to a face cream and apply it twice daily until there are visible results. To tighten larger areas of skin, create a massage oil by diluting 5 drops of Geranium Essential Oil in 1 Tbsp. of Jojoba Carrier Oil before massaging it into the affected areas, concentrating especially on muscles that are likely to sag. Geranium Oil is reputed to not only tone the abdomen and support the growth of new skin but to also facilitate the efficacy of the metabolism.