The majority of municipal water sources have levels of hardness. According to the USGS, in the United States, 85% of the water is considered hard. What does means to you? Well, a lot! You see, hard water affects your hair, scalp, skin and your whole household. Yikes!
Municipal hard water contains minerals; specifically, calcium, magnesium, iron and chlorine, which can dry your skin. Chlorine and minerals drying on the skin can clog pores and cause flaking and itching. Hard water also tends to react with soap to form salts, which can also remain on the skin.
Here are some signs that hard water is affecting your hair:
- Hair that feels filmy, straw-like dull and limp, and ultimately less pliable
- Color-treated hair that fades quickly, leading to more frequent color treatments and further damage to hair
- Residual shampoo in your hair
- Hair that’s hard to lather with shampoo
- Thinning hair and breakage caused by hard water
- Hair loss
What you can do to help your hair against hard water:
- Clarifying once a month and applying conditioner in your hair before it’s wet to protect it from the minerals and fight frizz.
- Use a chelating shampoo which contains an ingredient that bonds with the minerals in hard water and helps to rinse them away. Look for a shampoo (in pharmacies, beauty supply stores, or online) that contain “EDTA”, or Ethylene Diamine Tetra Acetate.
- Consider switching to a sulfate-free shampoo or cleanser as well. Sulfates can react with metals and minerals found in hard water.
- Use Natural rinses like apple cider vinegar
For those who want to address water quality issues while you fight hard water damage directly on your head, you can try one of these solutions:
- Whole-house water softener
- Purchasing a shower-head water filter
Hard water is problematic for all hair types and you’re going to see the effects regardless of your natural hair texture. There are some great shower head filters they will help to diminish the effects.
As always, consult a trusted hair stylist or your local hair experts for concerns about your specific hair care issues.
Take the earliest solution to prevent scum and hard water stain build-ups. Get your very own shower head water filter today!